Cutting is one of the basic elements of cooking.
To cut food and not yourself you need just few basic rules.
You don’t need many of them. Actually 3 are more than enough, but they have to be top quality! If your knife is harp there are much more less chances you end up cutting yourself! The perfect knife will fit in your hand as it was always there, it’s not light, but it’s not heavy, it’s just perfect. Before to buy it, hold it in your hand and you’ll see. Good knives are expensive, but us you are going to buy just three of them you can think of a good budget: do not be thrifty!
Chef’s knife: it’s the most used in the kitchen, and you’ll need to cut, chop, mince… It looks like the one in the picture.
Paring knife: it’s the little one of the family and you’ll need it to make precise cuts and precise works.
Serrated knife: the blade it’s saw like, and you’ll need it for bread, but for aubergines too.
2. Be confident
When cutting be confident. Don’t be afraid of the big chunk of salmon you have in front of you. Don’t be challenged by the smell of the onion. You are in command and the call it’s only upon you. Go for it! Cut!
3. Be brave
Once I found myself with a huge whole salmon to cut. I took my knife and there I went: brave, confident, with no hesitations! Even you make one cut wrong, who will see it? And if you knives are good and sharp, well, there is no chance you’ll cut yourself.
Choose your tools, be brave, be confident!
If you want to drive a car you need an engine.
If you want to hike a mountain, you need the right shoes and equipment.
If you want to bike, you need a working bicycle.
But if you want to to cook most people is convinced you don’t need anything if not a few pan. That is not true! Especially if you are not a trained chef, you need much more, at least to speed things up.
Basic kitchen equipment
- At least 2 pan for sauté and fry: low edges, flat bottom, non-stick (better ceramic or glass), with lids
- 1 Dutch oven or cast iron casserole, with lid
- 1 big pot, with high edges, to cook pasta, with lid
- 1 medium pot, for sauces and creams, with lid
- 1 little pot to boil water, with lid
- 1 cast iron griddle, heavy, to grill meat, fish and veggy
Some pans are not essentials but will come handy, such as:
- a wok, perfect for quick stir fry, with lid
- a pressure cooker
Small home appliance
- 1 stand mixer, with all the good attachments, like cutter, grater, whisk… It will save you so much time!
- 1 hand mixer, to blend anything anywhere
- 1 electronic scale that can weight at least 5 kilos
- 1 little knife, with a blade long 15 centimetres
- 1 big knife, with a blade long 25 centimetres
- 2 plastic chopping boards, 1 little, 1 big
- 3-4 mixing bowls of different measures, better in glass
- 1 funnel
- 1 measuring glass
- 1 rubber spatula
- 2 glass or ceramic oven dish
- 1 oven-tray
- 1 hand whisk
- 1 masher
- 1 colander
- 1 round baking tin with a high side
- 1 medium sieve
Do not buy cheap pans, appliances or knives!
Cooking with a good quality pan and cutting with a good knife will save you time and give you much more pleasure then cooking with a low qaulity pan where everything sticks and cutting yourselves along with the onion!
Believe me when I say that a very heavy griddle is much better than a light on: it will substitute the BBQ during winter, cooking everything perfectly!
For the home appliance, do not go for anything with less than 700kw of power, even the hand mixer: you’ll see the difference!